Pages

Friday 11 November 2011

036 - Building a Gaming Board - Part 1

A bit over a month ago the Leeds Wargaming Center, where I played the vast majority of my games, unexpectedly closed down. This was a big blow to the local gaming community, who had settled into the place over the last 8 months, and there was a period of uncertainty regarding when and where we'd find a new place to play toy soldiers. A few alternatives have now been organised, but none of them are ideal for me.

The Night Owls gaming club found a community center which could accommodate them on Sundays, but that's no longer a viable day for me. The old HEART club continues to open on Thursday evenings, but this clashes with my martial arts class. A small new club has opened in Keighley, which I hope to get to soon to take a look at, but it's a bit out of my way and the opening times are erratic. All of these places also suffer on the extra count that their tables and scenery will never live up to the incredible standard of Kaine's Malifaux boards at the LWGC.

The combination of these factors means I've decided to start a little terrain project of my own in the form of a modular gaming board, with the plan being that I'll be able to play games at home (enticing unsuspecting victims to my house with promise of beer and/or pizza may be required), or transport it easily to another location if required.

Here's where I'm at so far - I've built three of the 1-foot square pieces that will make up the playing surface. Being a complete amateur when it comes to woodwork, they're going to need a little tidying up, but I'm pleased with the results so far and how easy they were to knock together.



I'm mulling over a few ideas for themes for the board, but I'm currently leaning towards a frontier town type setting.

As you can see I haven't got far yet, and this will probably be a bit of a slow-grow project, but I'll be throwing up the occasional update post over the next few months. I've never attempted anything like this before, so it'll be a learning process, and I'd be grateful for feedback and advice as I go!

Mike

1 comments:

The Dark Templar said...

Have you had any thoughts about how they stay together while you're playing or are you not too concerned?

I have found the magnets I used on my board (on the blog) are fantastic and were very easy to add.

Looking forward to seeing how this goes!